Rental Housing Standards
Below is a summary of the Rental Housing Code standards. You can also review the Rental Housing Regulations:
- Rental Housing Code Administrative Rules 53-05-02-Friday
- Rental Housing Code (EC 8.400)
- Rental Housing Ordinance No. 20573 (2017)
- Rental Housing Code Fee Order 53-05-03
Roof, floors, walls, foundations and all other structural components shall be capable of resisting loads prescribed by the building code in effect at the time of construction.
- Doors and windows leading into a dwelling unit must be equipped with locks and shall be maintained in a condition so as to restrict access into the dwelling unit.
- Every dwelling unit shall be equipped with an approved and properly functioning smoke alarm or smoke detector installed and maintained in accordance with the state building code, ORS 479.270, 479.275, and 479.285, and applicable rules of the State Fire Marshal.
- Electrical systems shall be in good working order and conform to applicable law at the time of installation. Repairs must be permanent and through generally accepted electrical methods.
- All appliances that are furnished by the landlord must be in good working order and shall be maintained by the landlord.
- Each unit containing or connected to a carbon monoxide source must have an approved and working carbon monoxide alarm.
- Every dwelling unit must be maintained free of rats.