The City Recorder and staff coordinate and administer the City’s municipal election activities including receiving filings from candidates for the positions of mayor, councilor and Eugene Water and Electric Board. The Recorder’s Office processes initiative, referendum and recall petitions. The City Recorder prepares elections schedules, files measures for the ballot and certifies the final election results. A Eugene voters’ pamphlet is published for elections with city measures on the ballot and includes information on city measures and candidates. Information concerning the Eugene Water and Electric Board and School District elections also may be included.
General information about election processes is available in Chapter 2 of the Eugene Code.
Notice of Prospective Initiative Petition Filed
City of Eugene
A Prospective Initiative Petition was filed with the City Recorder's Office on April 28, 2023, regarding STAR Voting and a Eugene Charter amendment that changes the method for electing mayor and city councilors. For more information, please see the proposed charter amendments and notice of ballot title.
Timeline of Events
- April 28, 2023 - Chief petitioners submitted prospective initiative petition.
- May 5, 2023 - Ballot title delivered to City Recorder.
- May 16, 2023 - Ballot title appeal period ends.
- May 23, 2023 - City Recorder's Office approved circulation of cover and signature sheets.
- June 22, 2023 - STAR Voting Petition collected first signature.
- October 2, 2023 - Last day for STAR Voting Petition signature sheets to be turned in.
- October 17, 2023 -The City Recorder certified Petition 2023-2 after the results of Lane County Elections' statistical sampling process showed that the petition does contain the required number of valid signatures to refer the measure to the ballot.
- The next available election for this initiative measure is May 21, 2024
Notice of Election
City of Eugene
A primary election will be held in the City of Eugene, Oregon on Tuesday May 21, 2024, and will be conducted by Lane County Elections in accordance with Oregon Revised Statutes. This election is called for the purpose of voting on the following offices:
- Eugene Mayor
- Eugene City Councilor - Ward 1
- Eugene City Councilor - Ward 2
- Eugene City Councilor - Ward 7
- Eugene City Councilor - Ward 8
- EWEB Commissioner – wards 1 & 8
- EWEB Commissioner – wards 2 & 3
- EWEB Commissioner – wards 6 & 7
This is a nonpartisan nominating election; candidates are not selected on the basis of party membership and electors may vote for any candidate seeking to represent them. If any one candidate receives more than 50 percent of the votes cast for the office in May, that candidate’s name will be the only one appearing on the November General Election ballot. If no candidate receives a majority of the votes cast for that office in the primary, the two candidates receiving the highest number of votes will be listed on the November ballot.
Candidate information and filing packet is now available.
See the list of candidates who have filed for the 2024 Primary Election.
Please note that candidate submissions for the 2024 Primary Election begin on September 14, 2023. No forms will be reviewed or accepted before this date.
For more information, please contact the City Recorder at 541-682-5882