Short-Term Rentals in Eugene

Short-Term Rental Registration 

The Eugene City Council adopted an ordinance that requires all short-term rentals (STRs) in the City of Eugene to register annually. Registration is a short and easy process with no registration fee, and it can be completed online at the link below. 

Important: Registration is only required for properties located within the city limits of Eugene. Please click here to check if your property is located within the city limits.

Register Online

The following information is required for registration:

  • The name of the owner/operator
  • Address of the short-term rental
  • Whether the STR is owner-occupied
  • Local Contact information

If you have a complaint or concern specific to a STR, please contact Code Compliance staff at 541-682-5819 or via email.

For questions about the registration process, please contact Jimi Parker at or at 541-682-5379.

Learn More

Below are links and resources for information on the current rules related to short-term rentals. We also encourage all short-term rental owners to be considerate of their neighbors.

Transient Room Tax

The transient room tax (TRT) is a 4.5% tax charged on all overnight stays in the city, including hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals, and short-term rentals. Revenue from the TRT helps fund Eugene’s Cultural Services programs and supports tourism and visitor programs in Eugene.

All rental facilities must be registered with the City to collect TRT. 

Access the registration form and information on how to pay the TRT

Once a completed registration form is received, a Certificate of Authority is issued to the operator. This certificate must be displayed at the rental property.

Overnight Camping

Eugene does allow overnight camping on residential property in a vehicle, camper, or trailer parked in the driveway of a single family dwelling. Only one camping shelter is allowed and the property cannot require payment for the camping. This means that a trailer or camper on residential property cannot be used as short-term rental. This also applies to "tiny houses" that are on wheels and therefore considered a type of camping trailer.

Rental Housing Code

Eugene’s Rental Housing Code applies to long-term rentals. If you plan on renting a facility for over 30 days, then this code would apply. Learn more about the Rental Housing Code.


Land Use

Transient Room Tax