Adaptive at Hilyard
Registration for summer begins at 9 a.m. April 18.
A sneak peek of our camps will be available on March 29.
Our full Rec Guide will be online April 7.
Adaptive Recreation Services at Hilyard Community Center provides year-round, community-based recreational, social and educational programs for Eugene area children, teens and adults with disabilities.
The mission of Adaptive Recreation Services is to provide diverse recreation programs and services that enhance the quality of life for people with disabilities. ARS provides a wide range of adaptive recreation programs for people with cognitive, emotional, mental, social and physical disabilities that expand their access to opportunities that promote overall health and wellness.
Adaptive Recreation Services was founded in 1969. Since then, the program has evolved into a year-round, nationally recognized program offering more than 2,500 activities annually.
- Accessibility Services - we are committed to making all reasonable efforts to ensure that our facilities, programs and services are accessible to and usable by all people, including individuals with disabilities. We follow ADA guidelines for accessibility to recreation programs and facilities.
- Adaptive Recreational Equipment – we have beach and all-terrain wheelchairs, as well as bikes (trikes, recumbents, hand cycles and tandems) that are available to the community through our rental program. Each individual will need to have an initial fitting and assessment before renting the bikes.
- Community Partnerships - we collaborate with partner organizations and agencies in order to best serve individuals with disabilities in our community. Interested in being a community partner? Contact us.
- Customized Programs - through our Accessible Pursuits program, we are able to customize a program or trip for your group or agency at a reasonable price.
- Inclusion Services - we are committed to making all reasonable accommodations to ensure extra support in programs is provided to those who need it through our inclusion process. Contact us for more information.
- Internships – we provide NCTRC Therapeutic Recreation internships, as well as local student internships. We work with each individual to create an internship experience that satisfies the need of the specific program or degree.
- Recreation Assessment & Resources - we are able to provide an individualized assessment to those interested in learning how to become more involved in recreational opportunities related to physical, mental, social and emotional health and well-being.
- Scholarship Information - Eugene Rec offers a limited number of scholarships to City of Eugene residents. Once approved, each individual’s scholarship pays 50-75% of qualified activities, up to $150 for the year.
- Training - Adaptive Rec staff can provide workshops, educational seminars and clinics related to recreation and disability.
To learn more about Adaptive Recreation current offerings:
- Browse the Rec Guide (PDF)
- Register online for classes
- Visit our facility page for a virtual tour and rental information